Payroll Cards

Payroll cards are re-loadable cards that can be used in lieu of a payroll check or direct deposit. These cards are ideal for employees who do not have a bank account. Your employees can have the prestige of a Visa backed account for their payroll deposits. The Payroll Card can be used at ATMs or anywhere Visa is accepted.

United Commonwealth Payroll Cards offer you:

  • A quick and cost-effective way to issue funds to employees
  • Decreased payroll costs by eliminating check printing
  • Increased employee loyalty and retention

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is my payroll card the same as a credit card?
A. No, your card is not a credit card. You can only spend what you have earned since you are using your own money from your wages.

Q. Is my card like a debit card?
A. Yes and no. Like a debit card, you can spend only the funds available. However, unlike a debit card, you do not have a bank account associated with the card.

Q. How do I activate my card?
A. You must activate your card by calling us toll-free at 1-866-279-7292 before you can use the card.

Q. Where can I use my card?
A. Your card can be used for purchases anywhere Visa is accepted.

Q. Can I use my payroll card to withdraw cash or check my balance on an ATM?
A. Yes. You may withdraw funds or check your balance using your card and your Personal Identification Number (PIN). We do not charge fees for ATM withdrawals. However, if you use an ATM outside of the United Community Bank ATM network, you may be charged a fee by the ATM operator even if you do not complete a transaction. 

Q. Can I make purchases on the Internet with my card?
A. Yes, you can make purchases on the Internet with your card up to the balance available on the card. Enter your card number, expiration date, and any other information requested by the Internet site.

Q. How do I know what I have spent, or have available?
A. Make sure that you record the amount of your card and deduct each purchase. You can also get your balance anytime by calling the number on the back of your card (866-279-7292) or by logging into this website ( and going to the Account Balance page. Please refer to the Card Balance Inquiries and Customer Service Fee Schedule below.

Q. Can I use my card to buy a money order?
A. Yes. Businesses that provide these types of services generally accept Visa.

Q. What do I do if I have a question or problem relating to the Card?
A. Call UCB Payroll Card Services at (855) 822-5880 during business hours Monday – Friday 8-6 and Saturday 8-noon.  Call the number on the back of your card (866-279-7292) 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Follow the recorded instructions.

Q. Will I get charged a fee for using my card at participating merchants?
A. No.

Q. Can I use my card to make a purchase that is larger than the balance on my card?
A. No.  Since the card is not a credit card, you cannot access more than the balance available on your card.  If the merchant tries to run the purchase through for a dollar amount higher than you have available, the transaction will decline.  If the merchant runs your card through as the exact amount on your card, it will accept it and you will be able to pay the difference.  For example, your purchase is $45 but you only have $25 available on the card.  Tell the clerk you have a VISA gift card with $25 available.  The clerk will run it through for the specific amount.  It will approve the transaction and you may then pay the balance of $20 with another form of payment.

Q. How can I track my spending and check the available balance on my card?
A. You can track your spending in either of the following ways:

  • Call the number on the back of your card toll-free anytime (866-279-7292).
  • Log into the Account Balance page on this website anytime. 

Q. May I let someone else use my card?
A. Absolutely not. Keep your card, the card account number, and your PIN under your control at all times.

Q. Can my card be replaced if it is lost or stolen?
A. If lost or stolen, the unused portion of the card can be reissued on a new card for a $5.00 fee.

Please refer to your UCB Payroll Card Terms and Conditions disclosure for more complete information.

Q. Can I add money to my card other than money from my pay?
A. No. Only money from your employer may be added to your card. This would include your regular pay as well as things like overtime and bonuses.


     Replacement Card Fee........................... $5.00 for the replacement of a lost, stolen or damaged or terminated card.

     Monthly Dormancy Fee......................... $5.00 per month after 6 months of non-usage.

Card Balance Inquiries and Customer Service Fee Schedule

     UCB Payroll Card Services 1-855-822-5880..... Free    (M-F  8-6, Sat 8-Noon)

     VRU-Toll Free 1-866-279-7292........................ Free

     Web Inquiries...................................................... Free                                                   

Other fees may apply and will be disclosed when service is provided.